PROPULSION SHAFT BEARINGS
Cooper Bearings and Housings are appropriate for Propeller and Intermediate Shafting arrangements in all types of vessels.
The propulsion shaft is a very popular application for Cooper split to the shaft bearings. The application is usually arranged in one of two ways:
- Pedestal, including Z-line
* Z-line Pedestal
Designed specifically for marine applications where shaft alignment is critical, Z-line pedestals offer all the benefits of Cooper split to the shaft bearings plus:
- spherical cartridge lubrication which allows the extra movement necessary to accommodate hull flexing
- a flat, solid pedestal base which is the ideal surface for chocking compound
- jacking screws which allow bearings to be simply aligned along the shaft
When the shaft passes through a bulkhead, flanges allow Cooper bearings to be simply mounted on the bulkhead using the same internal bearing components and cartridges.
A money-saving combination
We also offer sealing options so that the housed bearing acts as a bulkhead seal. This combined solution is usually much cheaper than separate bearings and seals. Seals most often incorporated are:
- Grease grooves
- SRS RP
The whole range of bearings from 100 series, 01, 02 and 03 series to the tapered 1DTB series is compatible.
We are able to design and produce bespoke pedestals to suit the specific requirements of your application.
In these two examples Cooper were required to resolve concerns about the ability of the pedestal to withstand shock loads:
- This pedestal was designed to accommodate the very low central height required. We produced the pedestal in nodular iron to increase its strength.
- This pedestal was designed around the specific shape of the vessel’s hull which offered very limited space. Again, we chose an alternative material – this time steel – to increase the strength of the pedestal.
Temperature sensors can also be included as part of the design if required.
- Items in Stock, Worldwide Shipment, Reliability, Fast Delivery
- Attractive Prices, Quality, Expertise, Professional
- 365 Days and 24/7 Service, Experience, Marine Expert